Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Big Creek Reservoir does not seem like the kind of place that Grand & Noble Events occur, but that happened today.

I will tell you that the Children’s Fishing Day was a wonderful success. I could tell you that 32 boys & 24 girls came to fish, many for the first time. I could tell you that a little girl caught the first fish and another girl caught the biggest fish. I could tell you that every child caught at least one fish. I could tell you how well behaved all of the children were and how helpful all of the Fish-Mentors were, but that would miss the point of today.

“A smile is like sunshine.” There were a lot of smiles and laughter today. Something special, yes something Grand happened between young children and older life hardened adults today. For a few hours young & old met on common ground and had fun much to the benefit of both age groups. We learned about living in the moment from them and they saw the best in men & women who really cared about them catching a fish. I can assure you a lot more than fish were caught today.

It has been said, that “A Man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child.” I believe this Noble statement has application to both genders and it was displayed in full measure today. Yes, it was a Grand & Noble Day at the Big Creek Reservoir and I am proud to say our Fishing Club contributed greatly to that end.
Special thanks to these children. They give me hope that there will be a next year and we, as Fish-Mentors, will have another opportunity to have such a special fun day with them.

The HOOK

No comments: