Wednesday, January 31, 2007






The Fishalong for Tuesday, January 30th, started off with about 10 of us meeting at the LVH Clubhouse at 7:00 a.m. There were three groups going to various locations. Wayde and I were not experienced with steelhead fishing so we went along for the ride and to watch and learn. We went to Moonshine Park to watch Kevin and Mike (see photos). It was 27 very cold degrees. I was beginning to wonder about the sanity of steelhead fishermen until I walked down to the river. What a beautiful sight! I am standing on a sandy bank looking across the river at a beautiful waterfall. That alone was worth getting up early and braving the cold for. I was impressed that these men were putting their hands in the cold water and then holding the rod as if it wasn't even cold out. While I was enjoying the view, Kevin gave Wayde some good advice and then we watched Kevin and Mike in action. As we watched, a boat floated downriver. The two men waved and then, after seeing me in my U of O coat, stated they were Beaver fans and World Champions. As they floated by my parting shot was "We're now in basketball season . . ." They waved but had no response. We then went up river to Cedar Creek to check on Wayne and his crew. They weren't having much luck either. We finished the drive by following the Siletz River to Kernville. It was very cold that morning but well worth rising early and facing the elements (although most of my elements were viewed through the windshield of the car) to watch the fishermen and see the beautiful views. After we got home Brian stopped by to show us his catch (see story below). It was a beautiful fish and seemed to make the memory of the cold morning disappear. I think I may be ready to try my hand at steelhead fishing. Thanks, Brian.

No comments: