Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time for an update on fish stories from members of the LVH Fishing Club in case you missed them in the e-mails. And just think, these are from winter fishing trips. We have beautiful spring and summer weather ahead of us so the stories should get better and better!


03/2010

This from Jerry Gibson: his grandson and new wife...........
Here's some pictures of Glen & Jill's Steelhead & Ling Cod
and
Here's three pictures from Glen & Jill's fishing trip today with Ryan. They hooked two steelhead, but one got away when all the way up to the net. Of course the one that got away was the biggest! The one Glen landed weighed an estimated (by Ryan) 6-7 lbs and measured 25". Jerry Gibson







02/22/2010:
Hi
Attached is a picture of a trout my grandson, Glen Eastman Jr. caught on opening day at Silver Lake, Ca. (In the Sierra) in 2008. The fish weighed 7lb. 2 oz. Obviously it's not as big as it appears. Glen will arrive in Newport on Thursday with his new bride and I would like to treat them to a fishing trip like that pictured above. Who do I contact? They will be in Newport for one week. They do not have Oregon fishing licenses.

Jerry Gibson


02/21/2010:
This morning, Frank Stout and I met Ryan Miner at Ray's in Waldport about 6:45AM and headed up to Salmonberry Park for 13mi drift down the Alsea. "Its 27degrees and my feet are icing up, why are we doing this!"
Anyway, we hit the water and drifted bobbers with Ryan's special yarnie lures and his "secret" eggs, but not much was happening (maybe the fish heard it was cold outside). Frank caught a Cutthroat, and then I watched the bobber go straight down and, after about a 10 minutes, a very bright, 10lb (its my story) buck got close enough to net. I think the fish gave up in about 5 min, but the current was heavy and it took awhile to slide him up to us. We moved on, but no other luck except for a large (about 17in) Cutthroat. The day did warm up as we went on and turned out great with a few Elk thown in near the highway on the way back to Waldport.
Another great trip with Ryan.

Brian
PS: Bernie is up with Ryan in a couple days, maybe this will pump him up!





02/09/2010:

Hi John, last Friday, I was a guest of our friend Steve, the fly guy, his

guest-Walt, a newbe to steelhead fishing, and we teamed up with Craig, a pro

guide who's been fishing the Siletz River for 26 years and he took me on my

first two steelhead trips on the Siletz River 22 years ago, as you can see

Steve and Walt did great, I just got to go for a boat ride, but it sure was

fun fishing with Craig again, we see each other on the river through the

years, but being in the boat with him again was sure fun. Not many fish

around, but Steve landed a 16 lbs fish, they ranged from 6-16 lbs. Take care

and hope to see you soon, Phil Reed-----

02/08/2010:
Phil Reed and I had an enjoyable day on the Siletz River yesterday. After an unsuccessful attempt to locate some sand shrimp (the shops were all sold out) we put in at Twin Bridges a little later than we had planned. There were 8 boats ahead of us so we were playing mop-up as we traveled down the river. It was a foggy cool morning but we started to have a little luck around 10-:45 when I brought about a 6 or 7 lb steelhead to the boat. Unfortunately it was wild so he regained his freedom. Phil had to cut the hook off to keep from causing injury to the fish so he is still carrying a souvenir with him. A short time later I had a quick take-down but the fish was gone by the time I was able to get the pole from its holder. Than a short time later I had another really good takedown but after a short powerful run the fish was suddenly gone. I cried the rest of the day but Phil was very patient with me and kept correcting my mistakes. He is a great guide and you can tell by his attention to every detail that he is passionate about fishing. It's a great way to spend the day. We made it back in town around 4:00 pm so I was able to catch the last 3 quarters of the Super Bowl. Looking forward to the next trip. Frank (No Photos)

No comments: